Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Sam Palladio Talks Hair, "Nashville," And His Killer Southern Accent

You’ll never guess what his favorite word to say in an American accent is.

Graphic by Chris Ritter for BuzzFeed / Ethan Miller / Getty Images Jamie McCarthy / Getty Images Macey J Foronda / BuzzFeed

You might recognize Sam Palladio as Gunnar from the hit show Nashville. Even though he pulls off that Southern accent, in real life he hails from England and was barely a fan of mainstream country music before the show. Now girls run up to him in bars and the Grand Ole Opry is his second home. We got to sit down with Palladio and talk to him about his new life in Nashville, which hair products he uses for that perfect coif of his, and the mystery of his height is solved.

Supposedly the first time you were in New York was in February...
Sam Palladio: Yeah, it was only a few months ago actually.

Do you like the city?
SP: I do, I do. I don't know my way around at all, but i'm starting to. But I like it a lot. I've always wanted to live here, and being here I could see that happening. Definitely over L.A.

What about Nashville?
SP: I could be there for a while. I mean, I may actually be there for a while. It's the kind of place I could definitely settle down in.

How long do you have to be there for filming? Do you have an apartment there?
SP: I do, I rented an apartment for filming. All the cast members have relocated down there; some have bought houses; like Connie [Britton] and Chip [Esten] have bought houses. It's a great spot.

So being in a city that's so removed from people's families and friends? Do you guys hang out a lot? Who throws the parties?
SP: We all throw the parties! The bars throw the parties. And yes we hang out. I spent a lot of time with Chip at the beginning because we lived like half a mile from each other. So we'd go running together and it would be funny because we'd be running and then people would be like, "Hey it's Gunnar and Deacon!" A lot of us hang out and play music together, and play the Grand Ole Opry together.

Have you been to Tootsie's?
SP: I have actually. I was blind drunk at Tootsie's on my 26th birthday. I was singing karaoke.

What's your go-to karaoke song?
SP: Well I was singing "Walking in Memphis." So that one.

Are the fans crazy down there in Nashville?
SP: Yeah, there are a lot of tourists. But since we film down there a lot of people think they know us. Which is great and nice, but sometimes it's like, "Heyyy, I'm not your buddy." I had some girl the other day — she was at a bachelorette party and I was having a quiet drink with a friend — and her friends were asking for photos and stuff. And then there was this little crazy one, about 5 feet tall, and she didn't realize what was happening, and then turned around and saw who I was and then was like, "Oh my god!" And then slapped me three times really hard on the chest and was like, "It's you!" and it winded me! I was kind of like, whoa, whoa. I was kind of like, that's not cool.

Were you a big fan of country music before?
SP: I was a massive fan of Americana, and bluegrass and the more kinds of folky stuff. My taste is very '70s like Garfunkel and James Taylor, so not too far from country, but not really the mainstream country that's on the radio.

So not Taylor Swift?
SP: I actually did go to the Taylor Swift concert last week in Nashville to see the spectacle of it. I wanted to know what was making her the biggest thing in the world.

And... what was your takeaway?
SP: It was kind of like, such a theatrical performance. I'd like to see the songs stripped back and sung in the Bluebird Café [in NYC] or something. As far as the performance though, it was fantastic.


View Entire List ›

No comments:

Post a Comment